Tuesday, February 10, 2015

It Is Over. Hubby's just-after-surgery update

Part 3 of my C&P from my GoFundMe page updates. This was written the night of my surgery on January 13, 2015, by my wonderful husband.
----------------------------------------------
Long Island. Long day.     
                                                       
Lest anyone think that Laura's made an incredibly quick recovery since surgery, I should probably start out by noting that this her husband, Brian. Hi there. 

Now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't start out noting that. I probably should have led with the part where I tell you the surgery is complete and went well. Ah well. Now you know what manner of writing to expect with me instead of her. 

At any rate, we checked Laura into the hospital around 1:00, then did our best impression of a couple who was waiting patiently for the next several hours. Closer to 4:00 than the scheduled 3:00, we said our goodbyes and they wheeled her in. She asked that they do a wheelie into the OR, but her nurse seemed a little uptight and did not comply. (No thank-you cookies for you, Nurse No-Wheelie.) 

Then there was some waiting. Several hours worth, actually. Sometime around 9:30, I spied a man with a jacket, bags on his shoulders, sporting an air of it's-late-I'm-tired-and-it's-time-to-go-home. I immediately recognized him as Dr. B. With his usual brevity, he told me everything went well. The tonsils (the part that he removed) were a little thicker than expected, but that wasn't a problem. The pressure of the CSF, the size of the herniation, the pressure on the brainstem were all as expected and were dealt with as we had discussed. 
It took quite a while before they allowed me to see her in the recovery room as Laura was a while in coming out of anesthesia and then quite nauseous as she did. In fact, she was pretty miserable when I was finally able to see her. There was vomiting and there was pain (and medication for both, neither of which had yet to take effect before I left). There was also very little lucidity, but hopefully enough to understand (as I told her repeatedly) that things had gone well. I was told a couple times that there wasn't anything to do for her now except to let her sleep. It felt like those awkward hints that one sees in the movies or on TV at the end of a date, where the person doing the hinting doesn't want to break the other person's heart (at least not all at once) and tell the other person it's time to go. I came out and asked how long I was allowed to be there. Nurse Hints-A-Lot said people typically visit the recovery area only for short periods. She then gave me a card with the phone number of the unit and her name and said I can call anytime and check on her. She and the other nurses seemed caring, friendly, and such, even if unwilling to tell me to leave. Feeling that she was in good hands, I said goodbye to Laura and left. 

We're supposed to see Dr. B. again tomorrow, so perhaps I'll have more info then. In the meantime, thank you. Thank you all. You've all been ridiculously supportive. And I'm tired. Goodnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment